Project Medishare continues to recruit Medical volunteers to mentor and train Haitian medical staff and provide patient care at Hospital Bernard Mevs Project Medishare in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
More than 7,000 dedicated medical professionals have volunteered with Project Medishare so far since the 2010 earthquake!
The response from the medical field has been amazing, but your help is still needed. Your role will not be limited to providing medical care but also to assist in the training and education of the existing Haitian doctors, nurses and assorted medical personnel so that capacity can be built in Haiti’s healthcare sector.
- Our Medical Teams depart to Haiti from the Miami International Airport (MIA). Volunteers are responsible for making their own travel arrangements to Miami.
- Once in Miami, we will provide air transportation to and from Port-au-Prince on American Airlines. Flights leave from MIA every Saturday and return to MIA the following Saturday.
- Housing and meals in Haiti will be provided to the volunteers.
- A Minimum one-week commitment from Volunteers is requested, but we encourage you to stay longer if possible.
Project Medishare relies primarily on individual donors to keep programs operating in Haiti. Volunteers are asked to raise at least a $750 USD donation to help offset the costs of their trip (roundtrip airfare from MIA-PAP, and expenses). If you choose to buy your ticket and fly directly to PAP, the minimum donation is $250, you may raise those amounts by fundraising through your friends, family and coworkers or you may contribute it yourself.
The first step to volunteer in Haiti is to sign up on our Volunteers Database and indicate the dates your are available to travel. When you sign up, make sure to fill out the entire form. At this point, space is only available for allied healthcare professionals, including but not limited to physicians, nurses, rehabilitation, radiology techs, biomedical engineers, etc. (Unfortunately, we are unable to accept medical students at the Hospital due to our limited space for Medical volunteers).
After you register, your application will be processed and you will receive an email with additional information about your trip, flight schedules, and instructions on how to raise your minimum donation through our website.
If you need additional information please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 305-243-6685 to speak to one of the Logistics Coordinators for additional information about the trip.
Community Health Program in Thomonde (University Partnership Program)
Many medical professionals and students volunteer through the University Partnership Programs to work with local staff through the Community Health Program in one of the most impoverished areas in Haiti, the Central Plateau. Currently, Project Medishare is partnered with the following Universities:
- University of Miami’s Miller School of Medicine
- Emory University School of Medicine
- Morehouse School of Medicine
- George Washington University School of Medicine and School of Public Health
- The Mayo Clinic
- The University of Tennessee
- Touro University
- Rice University
- Merrimack college
- Medical University of South Caroline
- The University of Texas Health and Science Center at San Antonio.
If you are a University interested in more information about partnering with Project Medishare to do a project or volunteering with the team in the Central Plateau, please contact: email@example.com to inquire about upcoming trips/developing new partnerships. We are unable to accept individual student volunteers for this program at this time, so please only inquire if you are able to gather a group of medical students and supervising physicians from your university to do a trip together.